Lose weight, get fit, and improve your mood with a workout in the pool. Swimming is a low-impact, full-body exercise that tones muscles and helps decrease stress. As one of the best forms of cardiovascular exercise, swimming uses almost every muscle in your body and keeps your heart rate up without the impact of stress on your body. Our swim team expert, Dwayne Douglas, is here to tell you how he got involved in swim and has some great insights for those looking to learn more about this great water workout.
What brought you to swim?
– My love for water has always been a priority for me. I’ve been able to explore all kinds of water sports throughout my life, but I ultimately enjoy the simplicity of swim.
There are many benefits of swimming – what do you think is the biggest benefit?
– In my opinion, the biggest benefit of swimming is how it aids to your health. It is not only gentle on joints (which is great for all age groups), but it also benefits sleep performance and managing stress levels.
Any tips to get the most out of your swimming practice?
– I believe that setting realistic goals is one of the best ways to stay focused, motivated and feeling accomplished.
What do you love most about the Cathedral Oaks pool deck?
– We have a wonderful pool deck here at the club. In the winter months, both pools are heated so swim lessons and leisure pool activities can be enjoyed. Also, our pool deck is slip resistant which adds a great safety element as well.
What’s the benefit of swim teams versus swimming solo?
– Participating in swim team helps you push yourself beyond what you would normally do on your own and allows you to compete with your peers, have fun, and learn life skills.
What’s always in your gym bag?
– My SWELL Hydro Flask and any treats I grab from the front desk counter are always in my gym bag. With any sport, its important to stay hydrated and fueled with healthy snacks.
What’s a good way to cool down after a vigorous pool workout?
– The best way to cool down after a rigorous workout is to do a long and steady 10 minute swim focusing on breathing and lowering your heart rate.
What are you waiting for? Grab your swim gear and hit the deck for a water workout or ask Dwayne about getting involved with the swim team!
Check out our schedule to find out more!